Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Meet Virgil Toothacher - Master Carpenter and Asst. Designer for SouthFork Confessions


Q:  What experience in your background brings you to creating sets for Imagination Theater? 

A:  I have been a hands-on person since my childhood.  Growing up on a dairy farm teaches you that.  After leaving the US Air Force, I went into construction trades and later as a contractor. I have always had the ability to visualize what I want to create and that lends well to an award-winning theater set design.

Q:  Why SouthFork, in particular? 

A:  When Chrissie ask me to help, I thought it would be interesting to create a period cemetery that also becomes a character of the play.

Q:  What shows on your “bucket list” would you like to design/create?          
A:  I have had the privilege over the years to help with creating many of the sets that brings an imaginative story to the community for their enjoyment.  I am not sure I have any particular show in mind, but will welcome any time to participate in bringing life to a story on stage.

Q:  What is the biggest challenge with SouthFork set creation?
A:  Probably, not accomplished yet, will be making a cemetery move on stage.  You will have to wait and see how it will be done.

Q:   Rumors say you like to act as well; what would be your ideal role to play on stage?  
A:  My being a stage manager would put me at every show so sometimes I would fill in on a character, especially if it needs to be an ‘older’ person.  I am not accomplished enough to be a main character, but maybe in the future with a little courage. . .  I admire all those people who remember all those lines.

Q:  In one sentence what is your motto in theater? 
A:  Have fun and help give that pleasure to others for a few hours to enjoy the magic of theater.

Q:  What other activities do you enjoy besides theater?
A:  I have been enjoying living with horses and the cowboy lifestyle, in between working for a living, and seeing America on horseback.  That lifestyle includes writing and reciting cowboy poetry.

Q:  Any advice for newcomers who want to explore civic theater? 

A:  Do it for the magic.  Any part from swinging a hammer to singing your heart out.